Convergence offers Microsoft Dynamics community members an opportunity to come together for a chance to network and share ideas with other Dynamics users. The conference also provides attendees with a chance to see new products for the first time, learn about the latest product features and updates, get answers to tough questions from Microsoft Product Experts and discover new ways to stay ahead of their competition.
If you weren’t able to attend Convergence this year, below are some of the highlights for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
New Features For Microsoft Dynamics GP UnveiledDuring the Dynamics GP keynote, a number of new customer-requested enhancements were announced for the upcoming release of Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 R2, targeted for general availability in early summer. Most of the features to be included with this new release came from Microsoft’s product suggestion tool, Microsoft Connect, proving that Microsoft takes its customers concerns seriously.
The product presentation portion of the Dynamics GP Keynote was focused on the new features, and, by popular request, was presented by two dueling MVP Microsoft partners.
Some of our new favorite features include the following:
- User enhancements designed to provide greater flexibility and ease of use when creating and sending emails. This includes multiple email address fields for different types of sales order documents, plus the ability to print and email multiple documents in one step.
- The new document attach feature that was introduced with Dynamics GP 2013 is further enhanced with the ability to email attachments linked to a record.
- A new design in the Bank Reconciliation module eliminates the time-consuming task of having to mark off each check individually. This is especially needed by businesses that process large numbers of checks.
- A new vendor function that allows vendor information to be modified and even combined together. Before, this function required the professional tool kit or customized software.
- The ability for a user to assign an inventory item during setup to multiple sites at once on a single screen.
- Enhancements to the General Ledger module to allow reversing of the GL year-end close for multiple years, supporting auditor recommended changes. Before, this required Microsoft services to make the changes.
- Copy and paste support from Excel to journal entries in the General Ledger.
- A new Smart List designer that allows tables to be easily linked together. In addition, users can create new Smart Lists from an existing Smart List.
- Replacing applications in the Business Portal are new mobile apps for purchase order requisition and approval, plus time entry.
- A new Dynamics GP Office 365 dashboard app called “Workspace” that will support drill down to Dynamics GP from Excel.
Featured Convergence Customer
The featured customer was Batteries + Bulbs, a fast-growing company. The company’s employees attended live and described their amazing experience working with Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Batteries + Bulbs started by selling batteries and recently expanded to include light bulbs. The company announced its plans to add mobile device repairs to its offerings. Batteries + Bulbs’ employees discussed how Microsoft Dynamics GP continued to meet the company’s needs and grow with them, even through changes and expansion in their business.
Other Microsoft Convergence Highlights
It was also announced that the popular Windows store app for Microsoft Dynamics GP, Business Analyzer, will be supported on additional tablet platforms in the near future. The app is currently available in the Windows Store for Windows 8 tablet and PC users.
A fun part of the event was when Errol Schoenfish from Microsoft talked about the future direction of Dynamics GP. Microsoft’s vision for Dynamics GP is to provide access to information across multiple devices with the right functionality that businesses need and to deliver the solution in multiple ways. At the backbone of this is Microsoft‘s ability to provide the business logic functionality in the form of a service.
By applying business logic to the cloud, it’s possible for businesses, partners and Microsoft to extend Dynamics GP into different form factors and user experiences. The benefit of this change is that users will be able to consume and interact with the information in new ways.
Also announced was the next major release, Dynamics GP 2015. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 is targeted for general availability by the end of this calendar year. More details will be announced in the coming months.
Join us April 17 for a free webinar to discover the the benefits of moving from on-premise Microsoft Dynamics GP to an upgraded Microsoft Dynamics GP solution in the SMB Cloud.